Steve is Marten's best male friend, an old college buddy. He formerly dated Sara, Ellen, Tortura, and Meena but now has a relationship with Cosette. During a long period in which Steve was absent from the comic it was eventually shown that he became a secret agent and grew a beard. He has since returned to normal life.
Despite having been a character in the comic since the beginning (the third strip, to be exact), Steve is the only main character whose last name has never been revealed.
Steve works at a "nondescript office job" when he's not being a secret agent. He has stated that he very much prefers this job to being a field agent.
Sex and drugs and rock&rollEdit
Steve is known to play Animal Collective and his former girlfriend Ellen described Steve's favored music as "grown men mewling like children while beating tom-toms and playing $10 Casio keyboards". He owns a T-shirt referencing the American rock band "The Hold Steady".
- "What else have I failed to notice today? Are my pants on backwards? Am I on FIRE? DID I KILL A GUY EARLIER?"
- "There's Tequila Monsters afoot in here."
- "Do we Fight, use an Item, or Run?"
- "I probably shouldn't have shouted 'I hope you contract dolphin-syphilis' at the top of my lungs."
- "I might as well go to the morgue to pick up chicks from now on."