Steve is Marten's best male friend, an old college buddy. He formerly dated Sara, Ellen, Tortura, and Meena but now has a relationship with Cosette. During a long period in which Steve was absent from the comic it was eventually shown that he became a secret agent and grew a beard. He has since returned to normal life.
Despite having been a character in the comic since the beginning (the third strip, to be exact), Steve is the only main character whose last name has never been revealed.
Sex and drugs and rock&rollEdit
Steve is known to play Animal Collective and his former girlfriend Ellen described Steve's favored music as "grown men mewling like children while beating tom-toms and playing $10 Casio keyboards". He owns a T-shirt referencing the American rock band "The Hold Steady".
- "What else have I failed to notice today? Are my pants on backwards? Am I on FIRE? DID I KILL A GUY EARLIER?"
- "There's Tequila Monsters afoot in here."
- "Do we Fight, use an Item, or Run?"
- "I probably shouldn't have shouted 'I hope you contract dolphin-syphilis' at the top of my lungs."
- "I might as well go to the morgue to pick up chicks from now on."